Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I used to think it was a bit silly when people would say things like, "It's the little things that make life worth living!" Part of me still thinks it is. The little things, after all, are just what fills in the space between the BIG things. I like the Big Things. I've always liked Big Things, and tend to end up with a lot of big events in my life. This is partially because of luck (both good and bad) and partially because I have a flair for the dramatic and tend to thrive on change, movement, even crisis.

This is changing somewhat for me. I am not doing the most glamorous job in the world. I spend a lot of my days entering urinalysis results into a computer, on hold with the department of social services, or trying to fit a new shipment of food from the food bank into a pantry. Most days, there isn't too much to tell about what I've done. There are rarely measurable accomplishments, and sometimes there aren't even clear goals or benchmarks. I would prefer a job where every day something really breathtaking or beautiful or heartbreaking or scary or hilarious happens, but really, how many jobs are like that? The fact of the matter is, Big Things are big because they don't happen every day.

I tend to see God and learn about myself and form really lasting friendships during or immediately after Big Things, but I guess that doesn't mean God isn't in the small things, or that nothing in my character is revealed in how I deal with the mundane, or that genuine relationships can't be born out of boredom. Lately I've been really enjoying watching the flowers on my windowsill grow. I've been trying to be fully present and really looking with open eyes as I walk home from my new job (although, honestly, this is AT LEAST as much to prevent mugging as it is to see the neighborhood, which is TERRIFYING). I have found joy in attempting to perfect a cupcake recipe and seeing how happy it makes my housemates that I've started baking so many cupcakes. I've been trying to really taste the coffee I make. Not just drink it, but taste it, feel the warm cup, watch the sugar dissolve...


Life is short, but sweet for certain.

No comments: