Monday, October 05, 2009

And so it goes.

Well.

When all of this first happened, there was no doubt in my mind that I would go back to Serbia. For one, what would I DO in the US? I doubt I could find a job, and if I could, there is no way I would love it as much as I love my job in Belgrade. I don't like leaving things undone. I signed up to live in Belgrade for at least a year, and wasn't ready to let go of it.

Then I started thinking about what going back would actually look like. I adore Belgrade, I love my job, and have met some really lovely people. The fact of the matter, however, is that I still don't have any close friends there, and certainly no network of friends and family who know me intimately and love me no matter what I do. Living alone in a country where I know no one and can't speak the language was difficult and lonely at times. Losing my father has been incredibly painful. I started to wonder... do I want to combine something very lonely with something very painful? That seems like a bad combination.

There was a day or two where I thought I couldn't go back. I was too sad, too tired, too scared to do anything. I talked to my region directors about how to get my belongings back to the US. I talked to my family about living here. And I talked to a pastor who knows me well from college. He didn't tell me what to do, didn't even really offer advice, but he asked the kind of leading questions I needed to be asked. A specific Bible verse came to mind while speaking to him (perhaps in part because it was the first Bible verse I learned in Spanish while in Nicaragua with this pastor). The verse is 1st John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out all fear..." If I stayed in the US it would be because I am scared. I am scared to be alone, scared to fail, scared that if I leave again something else terrible will happen to my family. But fear has nothing to do with love, perfect love casts out all fear. Because God is love, I know that this fear is not from God, and therefore I can be free from its influence. So, yesterday I emailed my region representatives and committed to going back to Serbia. I have my ticket and everything. I am still scared, of course, but I also have the strength and confidence to face the fear.

Like many things I say, this is an idea that has been expressed often (and often more eloquently!) by people before me. So, I will borrow John Newton's words to sum it up:

Through many dangers, toils, and snares I have already come
It was grace that lead me safe this far, and grace will lead me home.

3 comments:

elektrokuhinja said...

Congratulations about the decision! I am sure that you will meet lots of nice people in Belgrade and it will start to feel like home. It just takes some time to find people who can be you real friends. That I am saying from my own experience.

expat in Russia

PeckoPivo said...

agreed - congrats on the decision! am sure it's not the wrong one...
adapting from US way of life to Belgrade one is probably not easy, but am sure that at one point of time you'll be tired of being terrified, relax and Belgrade will jump onto this opportunity and steal your heart forever...
it had already to many of my foreign friends, and am sure you'll "fall" too :)

Katie said...

maggie, you are a brave and indepedent devojka, Amerikanka ili ne:) so, you inspired me to do a little research in my Sveti Pismo:
"U ljubavi nema straha, nego savrs(h)ena ljubav izgoni strah napolje." (Katie's conversion from cyrillic, always a little sketchy.) I'm trying to commit it to memory...will let you know how it goes. Can't wait to hear more news from your journey! you're doing great!