Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Serbs say...

Before coming here I spent a decent amount of energy convincing people that Serbia is a place where I will be quite safe. A lot of what people in the US know about the region relates to the wars, so when they hear names like Bosnia and Belgrade, they get nervous. Over and over again I explained that I would be safe, I knew what I was getting into, and that I almost certainly would not die.

I am sorry to say I have to take back those comments. It turns out I probably WILL die this year, and according to some Serbs, it's a wonder I haven't already. The following is a BRIEF list of all the things that Serbians are sure will kill me and/or cause me to be infertile (which seems to be a major concern over here):

If I go outside with wet hair, I will die.
If I stand or- God forbid- sleep in a drafty place, I will die.
If I use the AC too much, I will die.
If I drink too many cold drinks, I will die.
If I sit on cold concrete, my ovaries will freeze and I will become infertile (this is my favorite!)
If I walk around without shoes or socks on inside, I will become infertile, and then die.
If I let a wet bathing suit dry on my body, I will get a UTI, become infertile, and then die.
If I swim in a cold lake I will get a UTI, become infertile, and die.

I had no idea the dangers I was getting into when I signed up for this. I certainly didn't think my potential future children would be in danger from all the concrete steps I'm prone to sit on... I guess I just like living on the edge.

Oh, I should also address the other fear that people (read: my mother) had about this year. My mom (and, OK, some of my close friends... actually, anyone who knows me well...) was afraid that I would move to Serbia, fall in love, get married, and stay forever. I am sorry to tell you all over the internet, but this, too, is a fear realized. I am deeply, passionately, and blindly in love with... Turkish coffee. It's like I have been living a lie with all of that drip and filter and french press nonsense I drank before. Coffee! That's nothing! I have met my beverage soul mate in the thick, strong, sometimes overpowering wonder that is served in tiny, adorable cups, and I will never, ever go back.

7 comments:

Milos said...

hahahaha...oh how many times have I heard some of those lines

ieishah said...

i've heard the 'sitting on concrete will freeze your ovaries' deal. actually, only half of that was out of my serbian boyfriend's mouth, then he saw my wtf face and saw my face, and stopped talking. too funny. cute post!

Beth Gillaspey said...

Don't die Maggie! Avoid concrete and drafts and cold lakes and whatever else at all costs!! :-) Isn't it funny the different superstitions people have...

PeckoPivo said...

Awesome text!
Used it for my blog-post and linked you. Hope you don't mind :)
http://peckopivo.com/serbia-is-a-dangerous-country/

cheers!

Unknown said...

Wet hair and concrete are the greatest fears of all... Nice post... :)

Kokan said...

At least the famous 3-day, 1-week, or 3-week wind that blows only through Belgrade doesn't kill. Thank god for Kosava, but that Promaja thing...

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that nobody told you that if your undershirt gets untucked/out of your underpants your kidneys will freeze and consequently, you will die... Another thing to worry about...