Thursday, January 15, 2009

Housing.

I just got off the phone with a woman who was trying to reach our intake counselor, who doesn't actually work at this building. I told her she should call the main office and gave her the extension of the person she wanted to reach. She asked me if I could give her the name and number of someone who could help her if she couldn't get through to the first person, so I asked her what the call was regarding so I could know to whom I should refer her.

She told me that she had spoken with our intake person a year or so ago about getting housing and has been on the wait list. She is currently facing foreclosure on her house and just lost her job. She won't get her last paycheck from work until her eviction date, which is, of course, too late to stop the eviction from happening.

She was desperate; I could hear the sadness in her voice. I told her that there really wasn't anyone else for her to speak with, that the intake person is in charge of the wait list and all new clients. She asked what to do if the intake counselor didn't answer, and I told her to leave a detailed message, stating what was going on and emphasizing the fact that it is urgent, and that the counselor would get back to her.

She was persistent; I don't blame her. "And if she doesn't? What do I do? Who can I call or go to if she doesn't get back to me in time?"
I was silent. What do you say to that? This woman was asking me, point blank, how to avoid becoming homeless. What was I supposed to say? "Oh, I'm just a volunteer, I have a degree in art, I haven't worked here that long, I'm not a social worker...." I mean, what do you say to that?

I told her I didn't know who to call. I told her that the counselor WOULD call her back, that we understand that sometimes quick and decisive action is needed. I told her we would do everything we could to help her, and we will.

And if we don't? If we fail? If she falls between the cracks, and is literally left out in the cold?

I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.

No comments: